As of Nov. 10, applications are being accepted for the 2021 St. David’s Neal Kocurek Scholarship. This program awards monetary and comprehensive support to the bright young minds impassioned by the opportunity to tackle health care’s most pressing issues.
The scholarship not only provides a robust tutoring program, wellness coaching, mental health services, and financial assistance; each recipient is also paired with an accomplished medical professional, who provides priceless mentorship throughout the scholar’s entire college journey.
St. David’s Foundation Community Fund established the St. David’s Neal Kocurek Scholarship to honor the vision and community spirit of its longtime CEO. A natural mentor, Kocurek was an advisor to many Austin school superintendents and educators. The scholarships are awarded to students who exemplify Neal Kocurek’s leadership and commitment to the community. Financial need and scholastic merit will be considered in the review process. We have awarded over 600 Neal Kocurek scholarships since the program’s inception in 2005, and 61 were awarded last year.
Scholarships are for Healthcare Studies at Texas Universities and Colleges.
- Applicants must be a high school senior within Bastrop, Caldwell, Hays, Travis, or Williamson counties
- Applicants are accepted at an accredited college or university in Texas to pursue a degree in a healthcare-related discipline*
- Psychology or social work applications accepted for students planning to work in a medical environment
- Applicants must attend an accredited college or university in Texas as a full-time student (12+ units/semester)
- Finalists must be able to attend an in-person interview
- Applicants must be a United States Citizen or a legal non-citizen resident
- Applicants must pass a background check. There can be no conviction for violating any federal or state laws for alcohol or drugs
- Financial need is considered in the application process. Proof of family income is required.
*Students pursuing veterinary and other non-human healthcare careers will not be considered
About Dr. Neal Kocurek
Dr. W. Neal Kocurek (1936-2004), possessed a special gift of bringing people together to achieve progress in areas such as health care, education, transportation, water, social equity, and regional stewardship.
Dr. Kocurek graduated from Austin High School as salutatorian and earned B.S., M.S., and Ph.D. degrees in electrical engineering from The University of Texas at Austin. He retired in 1998 as Executive Vice President of Radian Corporation.
After retiring from Radian, Kocurek served St. David’s Health Care System as President and CEO for six years. During that time, St. David’s became one of the largest health care systems in Central Texas. Kocurek was passionate about creating a structure to coordinate health care for the poor among regional providers and to address the root causes of health problems in Austin.
Kocurek’s legacy also includes the Neal Kocurek Memorial Austin Convention Center, which he worked tirelessly to make a reality; the Neal Kocurek Health Science Institute at Lanier High School; and Envision Central Texas, among others.